Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Learning to Scrap 6x6 pages

I love the scrapbooking in my family album, but how will I decide which of my boys gets to keep it in 2o years? So recently I decided that instead of trying in vain to keep up with the family scrapbook, I would work diligently on individual books for the boys. Here's my plan: each year for his birthday Jacob (or Jonah or Jesse) will receive the previous year's pages. Jacob's birthday comes next, thus I started with him. Plus, for some reason, I started in 2005. To keep things simple, I chose the 6x6 format. However, very quickly I discovered that the 6x6 small size takes a bit of getting used to. First, my pictures are 4x6, so they fill the page up quickly. Second, how many ways can I rearrange the elements on this page? Then, how much do I journal? Obviously, this page has little room for leaving details. I plopped the "my brother Jesse" on as an afterthought, realizing that he won't remember if that is Jonah or Jesse that he is holding.
Now for the details of the page. The cardstock is saffron, olive and brocade blue. I used the alphabet stamp from the I'm here set to create a background on the saffron. It is a bit hard to see in the picture, but it is just the right shade in real life. The olive is stamped using the linen background, giving it a bit of texture. ( I love texture . . . ) Finally, I stamped the hand in brocade blue on brocade blue and cut it out very patiently. I'm not really pleased with this page, but for my son it will be just fine. Also, I didn't take this picture in natural light (you already guess that huh?) so the lighting washes the saffron out a bit.
So what do you think for one of my first 6x6 pages? I made a couple more that I'll be posting in the next few days.

No comments: